FAQs

Merchandise

Q. Can I return the goods if I don't like them?
A. Yes, you can return them within 14 days to Woodland Trust, Freepost, Admail 4126, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 6ZX.

Q. Can I return substituted goods if I don't like them?
A. Yes, you can. Return them within 14 days to Woodland Trust, Freepost, Admail 4126, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 6ZX.

Q. Why do I have to pay extra postage for 'Walk in Woods' and 'Tree' books?
A. These are bulky and heavy items and the postage charges will not cover the cost of sending these items abroad.

Q. If you run out of stock for multipack orders will you be replacing with substitutes?
A. We will substitute stock if we are permanently out of stock or we expect the stock delivery to take more than 7 days to be delivered.

Membership

Q.Joining as a member and payment types
A.You can join online paying by debit or credit card for the annual or life membership subscription or by monthly direct debit.  If you would prefer to pay over the telephone or set up an annual direct debit then you can call us on freephone 0800 026 9650 Monday to Friday between 8.30 and 17.00. 

Q.Do you have a joint concessionary membership?
A.There is no special joint concessionary membership; the subscription is double the single concessionary at £36 per annum. 

Q.Where is the tree dedicated?
A.We have a list of woods that are available for tree dedications, your post code is used to find the nearest from this list that is closest to your home address.  The individual trees are not marked in any way but you are welcome to visit the wood where the tree is located.

Q.How long will my application take to process?
A.We will get your order to you as quickly as possible, normally within 10 days but please allow up to 21 days in case we are exceptionally busy.

Q.Can I renew my membership online?
A.No we do not have this facility at the moment we can renew this over the telephone on freephone 0800 026 9650 Monday to Friday between 8.30 and 17.00.

Q.Can I become a member if I live overseas?
A.Yes we are pleased to have overseas members.  Please email us to advise if you are happy to have communications sent to you by email instead of paper mail.  The only mailings that have to be sent by paper mail are our Broadleaf magazines.

nature detectives CLUB Membership

Q.What ages is the club for?
A.Current members range from 3 – 13 years.  The weekly challenges and activity packs include a mix of activities for different age groups and ideas that can be adapted according to a child’s abilities and interests.  Very young children will need help to do some activities.

Q.Can you send the challenges by post as I do not have an email address?
A.No we cannot send out the weekly challenges by post.  In order to keep the membership costs down and use as little paper as possible we can only send these by email.

Q.I am a childminder which membership should I choose?
A.You can join as a group leader or a teacher and receive one copy of the activities and make copies of for the children.  If you choose to join as a teacher then you would receive any additional information that might be sent out in line with the school curriculum.

Dedicate a tree

Q. When will I receive my email certificate?
A. Email certificates are sent as soon as you have submitted your online dedication, though due to circumstances beyond our control they may occasionally take several minutes or possibly even hours before they arrive in the recipient's in box. If you or another intended recipient do not receive it, then please email us on customerservices@woodlandtrustshop.com providing full details of your donation. A copy of your donation confirmation is always helpful.

Q. What size will my e-mail certificate be if I print it?
A. The size of your email certificate depends on your printer settings. For best results we suggest printing as an A5 certificate.

Q. When will I receive my paper certificate?
A. We aim to dispatch postal Dedicate a Tree packs within 3 working days of receipt of donation by 2nd class post. Please note that occasionally, circumstances beyond our control could affect delivery times. If your dedication is time-sensitive, you may want to check the despatch date with our customer service team at the time of making your donation.

Q. How much is delivery?
A. All tree dedications are sent with free postage and packing, but any merchandise order added to the donation will be subject to our usual p&p charge of £4.95.

Q. Will you print my name on the certificate?
A. We only print on the certificate the wording you enter for the dedication. The card that comes with the certificate is blank and you can personalise this as you wish.

Q. Can I dedicate two trees?
A. You can dedicate any number you wish, whether online through this shop, or over the phone by calling 0845 293 5840 between 9 am and 8 pm Monday to Friday and 10 am to 4pm Saturdays. If phoning, please have your words of dedication ready.

Q. I have dedicated 3 trees. Can I have 3 separate certificates?
A. No, all the trees in each dedication are linked to one dedication, certificate and wood. You will need to make three separate dedications for single tree dedications.

Q. Can I choose where my tree is dedicated?
A. We have a wide selection of woods which are advertised in our current leaflet and on our online shop. There are some where we have carried out recent planting to create a new wood or extension to a wood and some are mature woods. If you do not find a wood listed that is suitable then please call our Supporter Care team on Freephone 0800 026 9650 between 08.30 and 17.00 Monday to Friday. We do have some additional woods that we can offer.

Q. Will I know which particular tree is mine?
A. In order to keep our woods as natural as possible, trees are not marked or labelled in any way, nor is the area of dedication marked on the ground. However, we provide wood information sheets for each of our specially selected Dedicate a Tree woods and these include a map of the wood showing the area where the trees are dedicated.

Q. Can I choose which species of tree?
A. No, in order to keep our woods as natural as possible we do not mark the individual trees therefore it is not possible to be specific with regard to the species of tree dedicated for you. Our woods contain a wide variety of native broadleaf trees and with your certificate you will a wood information sheet for your selected wood that will detail some of the species planted.

Q. Are the woods all open to the public?
A. Yes, Woodland Trust woods are open free of charge for the public to enjoy.

Q. Can I scatter ashes in the wood?
A. The Woodland Trust has no objection to the scattering of ashes in our woods. However, we do ask that you do not hold any kind of formal ceremony and do not disturb the ground in anyway.

Q. I have dedicated trees before and would like the same wood and cannot see it on your list?
A. Please give our Supporter Care Team a call on our Freephone number 0800 026 9650, Monday to Friday between 8.30 and 17.00. We like to be flexible and if there are still trees available in the same wood we will do our best to accommodate you.

Q. I have made a mistake on my dedication - what should I do?
A. Please reply to the automated thank you email you received and tell us what you would like correcting and we will do our best to make the changes before the certificate is produced.

Q. Can I have the address of the wood to put in my satellite navigation system?
A. Woodland Trust woods do not have postal address as there is no building on the site. It is therefore not possible for us to provide this for you. We suggest using the nearest road name.

Q. Will there be signs directing me to the wood?
A. No we do not put any signage on the roads giving directions. You will need to use the Ordnance Survey map to help you locate the wood. Grid references are given on the wood information sheet which accompanies your Dedicate a Tree certificate. You will see Woodland Trust signage on all gates and some entrances also have Information Boards.

Plant a tree

Q. When will I receive my pack?
A. We aim to dispatch Plant a Tree packs within 7 working days of receipt of donation. Please note that occasionally, circumstances beyond our control could affect delivery times. If your dedication is time-sensitive, you may want to check the despatch date with our customer service team at the time of making your donation.

Q. How much is delivery?
A. All Plant a Tree packs are sent with free postage and packing, but any merchandise orders added to the donation will be subject to our usual p&p charge of £4.95.

Q. Will you print my name on the certificate?
A. We only print on the certificate the wording you enter for the dedication.

Q. Can I have two or more trees?
A. You can request any number you wish, whether online through this shop, or over the phone by calling our Customer Service Team on Freephone 0800 0269650 between 08.30 and 17.00, Monday to Friday. If phoning, please have your words of dedication ready.

Q. I have donated to plant 3 trees. Will I receive 3 separate certificates?
A. If you wish to receive spearate certificates for each tree you will need to make three separate donations for single trees.

Q. Can I choose the wood where my tree is to be planted?
A. Yes. There are a limited number of woods to choose from which are constantly updated depending on where we are planting next - see our shop for details, or telephone our Customer Service Team on Freephone 0800 026 9650 between 08.30 and 17.00, Monday to Friday.

Q. Will I know which particular tree is mine?
A. In order to keep our woods as natural as possible, trees are not marked or labelled in any way. However, we do provide an information sheet about the wood which includes a map showing the general location of where your tree has been planted. In the case of Plant a Tree for the Jubilee, the exact location of the grove will be emailed to you once the planting has taken place - if you have asked to be included on our regular emailed updates. We regret we cannot send out further updates by post. 

Q. Can I choose which species of tree?
A. Our woods contain a wide variety of native broadleaf trees and with your certificate you will receive a wood information sheet for your selected wood that will detail some of the species planted. To keep the woods as natural as possible, and ensure the right species for the area planted we chose to plant a broad mix of trees rather than focusing on one or two that may be most popular.

Q. Are the woods all open to the public?
A. Yes, Woodland Trust woods are open free of charge for the public to enjoy.

Q. Can I scatter ashes in the wood?
A. The Woodland Trust has no objection to the scattering of ashes in our woods. However, we do ask that you do not hold any kind of formal ceremony and do not disturb the ground in anyway.

Q. I have made a mistake on my dedication - what should I do?
A. Please reply to the automated thank you email you received and tell us what you would like correcting and we will do our best to make the changes before the certificate is produced.

Q. Can I have the address of the wood to put in my satellite navigation system?
A. Woodland Trust woods do not have postal address as there is no building on the site. It is therefore not possible for us to provide this for you. We suggest using the nearest road name.

Q. Will there be signs directing me to the wood?
A. Not all of our woods are sign posted from the road. We recommend you use the Ordnance Survey map to help you locate the wood. Grid references are given on the wood information sheet which accompanies your Plant a Tree gift. Woodland Trust signage should be visitble on all gates and some entrances also have Information Boards.

Native trees

Q. Why can I not buy ash trees from the Woodland Trust any more?
A. Due to the concerns over the tree disease affecting ash trees Chalara fraxinea the Woodland Trust has called for a complete ban on imports of ash trees. However, to reduce the spread of any disease already in the UK we are removing ash trees from sale and are supporting the calls for restriction of movement of trees.

Q. How long will delivery take?
A. Plants/Canes and Spirals will be delivered within 7 days of your order and separately to any other ordered products. Your plants will be sent to you in secure packaging by Royal Mail for orders of 15 plants and less and by National couriers for larger orders.

Q. Why is the sapling so small and looking like a twig?
A. As explained on the label attached to the gift box and on the Native Tree shop, the saplings are currently in their dormant state and therefore look a little twig-like this is perfectly natural. Once planted and nurtured they will quickly grow into beautiful Oak trees to be proud of. The images shown are an accurate representation of what to expect when your Royal Oak sapling arrives. It is clearly stated that they are 20-40cm in height.

Q. What will you do if they fail to grow?
A. If they are protected from vermin, watered in the summer and kept weed free there should be no reason why they should fail to grow. However, the Woodland Trust cannot be held responsible for the failure of the sapling if sufficient care has not been taken and these main criteria have not been met.

Q. What happens if my sapling looks dead on arrival?
A. In their dormant state saplings can very often appear as if they are dead but they aren’t. However, if you scrape back a small piece of the bark and you do not see pale new wood underneath we will accept the tree back in its original packaging within 48 hours and provide a full refund.

Q. What size are the saplings?
A. The saplings will be between 15-40cms high depending on species. Broadleaved trees and conifers are usually supplied at this size whilst shrubs are generally trimmed back to encourage side shoots and are sold as 15-30cms plants. The saplings will be about 1-1 1/2 years old.

Q. Can you offer advice on suitable saplings to plant?
A. You can search for suitable species by going to http://www.albatrees.co.uk/selector

Q. Do I have to plant the trees immediately?
A. There is no need to put the trees into pots. As long as they are removed from the box and stand up right keep moist and sheltered from the wind they will be fine for a couple of weeks, or even up to a month. But it is important that they do not dry out.
All plants have been raised in the unique Rootrainer system which encourages healthy, well-directed roots without any of the spiralling and subsequent instability often found in traditional pot-grown plants. The plants have also been raised from UK seed stock producing plants that are much more able to cope with our usual weather conditions.
Although your plants will generally be smaller than traditional garden centre stock they have an excellent fibrous, well formed root system. This will enable them to establish quickly and catch up with taller more expensive plants - making them an extremely cost effective alternative
For further help on planting please go to our MoreTrees MoreGood website.

Q. Where are your native trees from?
A. Our selection of native trees are supplied by Alba Trees Plc the UK's largest producer of cell grown plants. Founded in 1988, based in East Lothian Alba Trees operate from a 7 hectare nursery. Alba Trees hold the Royal Warrant as Woodland Tree and Shrub Nurserymen by appointment to Her Majesty the Queen.

Q. Can I order plants to be delivered outside of the UK?
A. Unfortunately we can only offer delivery of the saplings to UK addresses.

Q. I would like to order more native trees than the website offers, what should I do?
A. If you would like to place bulk orders for trees, please contact Alba Trees direct who will be happy to take your order.

Q. Can I have the saplings delivered to an alternative address?
A. Yes during the order process there is a facility to add an alternative address.

If you should have any further queries please contact our Customer Service team on 0800 026 9650 between 08.30 and 17.00, Monday to Friday, or email customerservices@woodlandtrust.org.uk 

Order by Telephone

If you would rather order over the phone please call us, note native tree items are only available online.

0845 293 5840

Cards accepted

The Woodland Trust shop accepts the following payment types:

Newsletter

Keep up to date with the Woodland Trust e-newsletter.